Transforming a house designed for Victorian modesty into an open and lighted house is a challenge, especially when municipal restrictions are imposed on construction. A bet quickly taken up by Flow Architecture and Magrits, in one of the quiet and leafy districts of Kensington, London.
Erected in 1851 in Kensington, an upscale district of London, the house spans four levels, covering an area of 250 m2. Yet despite its generous proportions, it is closed in on itself, lackluster and dark. A status quo that will be turned upside down by Flow Architecture and Magrits at the direction of the inhabitants of the place, wanting a modern home without excessive partitioning. Unable to change anything outside the building, a protected heritage, the project begins, however, with the almost complete destruction of the interior. It was only then that the volumes were redistributed in favor of a fluid concept, where the floors overlap and light abounds. To do this, the architects focus on the heart of the house, creating an interior courtyard, from which spread the living areas that this visual core connects. Adjoining it, a series of double-height spaces maximizes wide panoramic views over several levels. A play of optics amplified by the two skylights overlooking the courtyard and the staircase. This, in its lower part, opens freely onto the reception rooms, where it subtly organizes the sequence. At the rear, large sliding doors allow a nonchalant transition to the terrace dominated by a walnut tree, suddenly bringing the spirit back to the more earthy character of this work of aerial light.